SIGN UP HERE!
Summer Wrap up Challenge - Last Week!
HERE are your teams!
More Challenge info HERE
Even MORE info HERE
Posted on December 29, 2013
ATHLETE RECOGNITION - SAN JOSE
1. When did you join CrossFit NorCal? I joined NorCal in May of 2013
2. Why did you join CrossFit? I started CrossFit in Orange County, CA in January 2013. I joined because I had heard great things about it from a couple of friends (and I had a Groupon).
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit? Since I started CrossFit I am the healthiest I’ve ever been in my life. I’m excited about the fat loss and muscle gain. But, the most important thing to me is the mental change. I’ve joined many gyms and workout programs in the past but never stuck with them. CrossFit, with its exciting structure and amazing community has drawn me in and kept me interested in a way I’ve never experienced. It has been almost one year and I’m still so excited to go each and every time. I’ve also made tremendous gains with the endurance program. I ran my first 1/2 marathon which is, again, something I attempted to start many times but finally completed. I amso grateful that I now measure performance in my life instead of how much I weigh or what look like. It’s such an amazingly healthy way to exist.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit? I would tell them to step into it and experience for themselves what CrossFit has to offer. I would say that whatever they have heard about it, even from an experienced CrossFitter, will not give them a clear definition of what it will be like for them personally. You won’t know until you try!!
5. Favorite CrossFit exercise? The power clean. But, I enjoy all the olympic weight lifting techniques. I so appreciate the careful breakdown of each lift. This is what keeps me interested because there is never an end to what I can learn. I just recently PR’d in my power clean. I felt my form working like never before that day. Nothing else matters in moments like these.
6. Favorite activity outside of CrossFit? I enjoy almost any form of Martial Arts. I’ve been practicing various forms for many years. Currently, I am learning Wing Chun.
7. Proudest accomplishment at CrossFit? As of right now, I have to say that I am proud of myself for working out consistently for a full year. But, in the near future, I hope to say that my proudest accomplishment will be that I did a pull-up! When I was young I damaged my shoulder and was told to never hang by a bar again. (Doctors were like that back then). This resulted in me literally never hanging from a bar my whole life until I joined CrossFit a year ago. Accomplishing a pull-up will be an incredible feeling for me!!
8. Favorite place to eat a paleo-ish meal? I love eating paleo at home. I wish I could give people a cool idea of where to go besides my house. Specifically, (from “OMG That’s Paleo” cookbook) I make a “hash” with sweet potatoes, squash, bacon, onions, etc… then press indents into the hash with a spoon, crack eggs into the indents, and cook until eggs are done to liking. Unreal. I love dishes like this that change according to what veggies I happen to have in the fridge.
9. Something that people would be surprised to know about you? Some might know that I’m a Meditation Instructor but they may not know that I am also a Tantric Counselor. People also may not know that I’m decent at light construction and house painting.
10. What/who inspires you the most? My kids and my husband inspire me and push me to be the best I can be. They are infuriatingly good at holding up the “mirror”. They remind me of my Truth and when I veer off. I am so very grateful, everyday, to be able to share my life with them.
NORCAL WINTER FUNDRAISER
Things are heating up for this Saturday's competition! Two workouts have been announced and we've received a lot of support from the community. We'll be having a raffle a la the Brodown that going to have some incredible prizes, but the only way you can get in on the fun is by showing up!
WORKOUT FOR MONDAY
Spend 10min working up to Heavy 1 Rep Clean and Jerk
2 Heavy Clean and Jerks (use 80% of above weight)
what is left of the minute, amrap double unders
*Score = Weight used + total DU (any lifts failed, take 5lbs off total)