1. When did you join CrossFit NorCal (MV)?
2. Why did you join CrossFit?
I had recently lost 25 pounds doing P90x and Insanity, but was bored out of my mind. I could recite every one of Shaun T's jokes and Tony Horton's 1.5 hour yoga video was painful to get through alone. I wanted to workout with others and people at work were starting to get into Crossfit, so I decided to give it a try.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I've gotten stronger overall and my conditioning has improved significantly. I was really excited when I ran a sub 7 minute mile because I haven't done that since high school. My second favorite sport, eating, has also improved because my body seems to metabolize a bit faster.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
I see a lot of people come in, try crossfit for a month and then decide they can follow the workouts at home or at the local gym. The community makes the biggest difference and gives you that extra push to work harder and improve. If you have been crossfitting for years or just finished on ramp, say hi to the person next to you. It will make the 400 m partner carry a lot less awkward.
5. Favorite CrossFit exercise?
Nothing feels better than landing a perfect snatch with a PVC pipe.
6. Favorite activity outside of CrossFit?
Cooking. 4 years ago I couldn't make eggs. Eggs that were meant to be sunny-side up turned into a scrambled broken mess. Now I'm a bit more adventurous and try new recipes whenever I can. My most memorable cooking experience was making Thomas Keller's Meatballs with Pappardelle.
7. Proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
The first time I cleared a 300# back squat. I had been stuck at 285# for a while, but the barrier felt more mental than strength. One day I just came in and 300# magically happened.
8. Favorite place to eat a paleo-ish meal?
Los Altos Grill - prime rib, sauteed spinach and no corkage fee.
9. Something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I like angry break up songs sung by the likes of Avril Lavigne or TSwift.
10. What/who inspires you the most
My wife. She's amazingly kind, loves people, works hard, and sleeps like a rock. I'm particularly jealous that she can sleep like a rock.