Mike started with us a little over a year ago. When he walked through our doors he already had a background in powerlifting, but despised running or anything "gymnasty." It took him a little while to stop avoiding the running workouts and only coming to weightlifting days, but his hard work is finally paying off. He can run faster, crush any T2B workout AND move more weight than he used to when he only did weightlifting! Mike is one of those silent but deadly types. He may not be the loudest or most outgoing person in the room, but he can make a class fall silent on a heavy squat day with his loud grunts, and the crazy amounts of weight on his bar. He is a huge asset to the RWC community and we are lucky to have him!
In November of 2012 when the Redwood City location opened.
Why did you join CrossFit?
I've always been involved in some sort of competitive sports, except for the five years leading up to joining crossfit. I missed pushing myself for a goal. The atmosphere in the gym was a place for me to challenge myself again in an environment that was both safe and demanding.
What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I immediately noticed a return in strength and the first three or four months, that was a lot of fun. Then I began to plateau for a few months. When I was discussing this with Alex and Molly they kept pointing me to nutrition. I wasn't feeding the body correctly so I wasn't recovering well. So in mid October of 2013 I jumped into Paleo eating. That is where the dramatic changes began to happen. Since then I have dropped ten pounds and lowered by body fat percentage down to 14 percent.
What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
It is for everyone! No matter your skill level or athletic ability, the coaches will find a way to make the workout relevant to you. Also...the pain is normal and being uncomfortable or sore is fine!
Favorite CrossFit exercise?
I love doing the Crossfit total, back squat, deadlift and strict press.
Favorite activity outside of CrossFit?
What, there's activities outside of Crossfit? I'm kidding, I really enjoy being at the beach and enjoying the late afternoon to sunset with my wife. Side note, southern San Mateo County has some of the most beautiful beaches around, go see them!
Favorite place to eat a paleo-ish meal?
For you Redwood City peeps, go to Chavez Market at El Camino Real and Fifth Ave., awesome Mexican food that they make fresh...it's up to you to make it Paleo! Also, my wife has totally embraced Paleo cooking at our home so it's been a total transformation for the Smysers.
Something that people would be surprised to know about you?
That I have grown children who are 22 and 21 years old.
What/who inspires you the most?
I look at some of the athletes that come into Norcal, either coaches or members, and I see what they accomplish and the progress the make and the environment becomes infectious. Feeding off of that energy is what makes me push my self to continue to improve. I also want to thank Alex and Mickey for getting this started in RWC and Molly for carrying it on. All of them are a wealth of knowledge and they genuinely care about the members. I encourage everyone to pick their brains and apply it to your own health!
Coaching position and Yoga Instructor position Available at NorCal CrossFit
1. Full Time Corporate Coach
* Must have passion, belief, and understanding of CrossFit and its methodologies
* Must have compassion for others and a genuine desire to help people reach their desired goals and potential
* Be willing to collaborate with a team to reach common goals
* Have passed CrossFit Level one certificate
* Have a minimum of 6 months CrossFit Coaching experience
* Be willing to always learn and improve as well as receive feedback with an open mind and implement suggested improvements to coaching skills
* Be able to conduct yourself with a professional manner within a large corporation culture
2. Yoga Instructor
* At least 1 year of experience as a yoga instructor
* Have a genuine care for people and desire to help them improve their health and well being
* Starting at 3 yoga classes a week with the potential for an increase in the number of classes per week
* Must know and appreciate CrossFit, understand that both Yoga and CrossFit are a means to the same goal, getting healthier
To apply, or for more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* Include a resume and references.
* Please only serious applicants apply.